“Persuasion is a process aimed at changing a person's (or a group's) attitude or behavior toward some event, idea, object, or other people(s), by using written, spoken words or visual tools to convey information, feelings, or reasoning, or a combination thereof.” (Wikipedia)
Don’t you want every customer who comes to your shop, leave after buying products from your shop?
Let’s follow with a story:
You are sitting in a shop, and a customer enters with her child. While the customer is busy looking for the product, you choose to offer a chocolate to her child. Hurray! You choose the right option. The customer will like this and may want to reciprocate, so the customer(she) might mention you while gossiping with her friends. (It would impact positively on your reputation.) or she might often choose your shop over the others to buy products. This is called the Reciprocity process.
Here are other ideas that will help you in persuading your customer:
1. Smile: The foremost thing is to greet them with a smile when they enter. In this way, you seem approachable and warm. It seems like a friendly gesture, and it would be easy for them to tell their needs. There are the chances that you know most of your customers, it’s better to greet them with their name, so they know, you know them. It will take your relationship at a personal level.
2. Connect: You can connect with your customers by leading some conversations and the conversations can be followed by some personal conversation. Your relation with your customers would turn into a friendship, and they would trust your recommendations.
3. Have Knowledge: Know about your products that are available in your store. Your customer might feel confused or don’t feel sure of the products as some of them are new. You can assist them by answering their questions, for instance, Are they effective? How long we have to leave this hair dye in the water? etc.
4. Listen: Great! You have the knowledge, and your own views but listen to your customer first. If they feel unheard, they would not follow you. Listen to their needs and then suggest if you can. You can tell them that you are right, though, I would like to give it a try if I were in your place because these ingredients sound so good to me. (Only, if it needs to tell them)
5. Tell some stories: Your customer might be confused about making the decision to try a cream that is new to her. People trust more when they know someone also uses them, as they have some concerns about the product. Tell them that their neighbor or Ms.X frequently buys this from your shop. (But, Tell only truth. Be authentic!)
6. Not-So-Available: Try to keep the product in your shop, which is not available easily at every shop. You might have a shop in a colony, every people know that you are the only one that keeps a particular product. You don’t even have competition. You can also add things, for instance, you are interested in pottery or cooking food that can be stored for a long time. You can add on. That would be a great contribution.
7. You care for them: If a customer comes to your shop for a product which is not in much demand. You can assure them that you would bring the product. They would go empty-handed but would be grateful to you. They might want to return your favor. Again, Reciprocity!
8. Your Service: If you are an Internet Service Provider, you can assure them that if they face some problems regarding Internet, you would provide them instant services. You can tell them the instances regarding your services. Tip: Ask your customer to give a review regarding your services on Google Maps, so you can show other customers too.
9. Wear Pink Shirt: Adam Alter wrote in his book, Drunk Tank Pink: And Other Unexpected Forces That Shape How We Think, Feel, and Behave, Pink color has a persuasive effect. Give a try! It might be good for a "heated negotiation".
One more tip to add:
If you have opened a shop recently and in order to filter out the customers. You can give products to the customer if they request to pay you later. You can use automated apps to keep the records.
First, Be authentic – Customers will trust you. Be warm and a little bit creative. Keep your commitments. Experiment and know what suits your business.