With social media sites being used by 1/3 rd of the entire world, they’ve clearly had a major influence on society. Around 3.8 billion people worldwide use social media to connect. As crazy as it seems, technology has begun to rewire our nervous system and our brains being triggered in a way they never have been before in history. Social media also triggers a release of dopamine: the feel-good chemical. Using MRI scans: scientists found that the reward centers in people’s brains are much more active when they are talking about their own views; as opposed to listening to others.
Most business owners and marketers have heard the refrain that social media is important.
Globally, people have started to use social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn to share their experiences. As customers, people share product reviews, information about a service, advice on food or health, warnings about products, tips on using certain products, and much more.
NEW STATISTICS OF SOCIAL MEDIA:
- 3.8 billion Social media users worldwide.
- Facebook is the most popular social media platform.
- 90.4% of Millennials, 77.5% of Generation X, and 48.2% of Baby Boomers are active social media users.
- Users spend an average of 3 hours per day on social networks and messaging.
- 73% of marketers believe that social media marketing has been “somewhat effective” or “very effective” for their business.
- 54% of social browsers use social media to research products.
- 71% of consumers who have had a positive experience with a brand on social media are likely to recommend the brand to their friends and family.
- 49% of consumers depend on influencer recommendations on social media.
- 500 million daily active Instagram stories are uploaded worldwide.
- 91% of all social media users access social channels via mobile devices
- 53% of consumers are likely to research brands on social media before buying.
- 64% of online consumers wait to buy things until they go for sale,
- 29% of consumers are more likely to make a purchase on the same day of using social media.
- 78 percent of people who complain to a brand via Twitter expect a response within an hour
- 92.81% of all internet searches are carried out by Google(https://gs.statcounter.com/search-engine-market-share)
- 77% of Twitter users feel more positive about a brand when their Tweet has been replied to: When these users receive a response, 77% feel more positively toward the brand (Twitter Vertical Profile, Millward Brown, 2014). This means it’s crucial for retailers to check their timelines twice and ensure no Direct Message goes unanswered.
- You can navigate YouTube in a total of 76 different languages (covering 95% of the Internet population)
- The best time to Pin is Saturday from 8 pm-11 pm.
The merits and demerits are highly dependable on the marketer as compared to the consumer since it’s upon him of how well he or she is interacting with the consumer. A consumer gets a high satisfaction only if he is served well both during and after the sale, this helps in creating a reputation for other consumers who will now totally depend on the review of the other consumers. This helps other consumers in deciding whether he or she should be investing in the product or not. Image source: Ionos.com
With access to an almost-infinite ocean of information at any given time, businesses have to seize every opportunity to be in front of their target audiences.
Have the right strategies, and your brand can surely take advantage of social media when it comes to converting visitors into customers.
Author: Roovi Singh
Blogger in the discipline of writing in discrete areas of literary studies based on research and analysis. Lifting the curtains to discover the ropes of artistic writing. When I'm not writing, I love to indulge in reading, crafting, and painting.